Thursday, February 10, 2011

Big Business

I have been blessed to own two businesses.  JamzMedia is one I started in 2001 and is an event production company and Video Sonic which I started with two partners about 14 months ago.

JamzMedia does everything from promoting concerts to installing equipment into commercial buildings.  I've been doing this for years and my business has gotten huge - on the front side.
The front side is the perception.  It's what others think of your business.  Having a huge front side has allowed me to get some of the biggest contracts in my field.  You might call it confidence but whenever opportunity arises to do a large scale job, I make sure that the client believes in my company, believes in me, and believes we can work together.  The only way to do this is for me to believe in me.
I once was head organizer of a huge 10,000 attendees block party where I had government directors working with me and following my plans.

Here is my back side.  This, by the way, is info I don't share with everyone.  I guess you could call it my trade secrets.  I operate out of my home, I store half my equipment in my cargo van, and I print my own business cards.
My operating costs are very low but that doesn't mean I bid low or I charge less.  In fact I won't take projects that offer low pay, I will refer the jobs to my competitors who are happy to take them.  I do this because I'd rather do one job that makes $ 100 than four jobs to make $ 25 each.

On the front side, people see my business as growing, it's as if I'm here there and everywhere.  On the back side, I'm just a boy with a few toys.  But I love playing with my toys and people seem to want to give me money to play with my toys!

I'll share more on my business tips and tricks in upcoming blogs.

Be confident, honest, and do what you love and I'm sure you'll find some way to earn a comfortable living doing so!

Here's an interesting article: http://www.familybusinessstrategies.com/articles02/3262p.html


Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment