Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Rock

I believe Guam is/was called The Rock because of a war movie from the seventies.
When I lived in the mainland and whenever I would tell people I was born on Guam, they would ask questions like "where is that?" or "do people speak english there?" or even "do people there wear clothes?"
Depending on the mood I was in, I would either give them a straight answer or joke around and say stuff like "some wear clothes and some don't".
Living on an island has its limitations but for me the pros outweigh the cons.
After her second year in college, Marti and I decided we would move back to where we were both born and start our lives together there.
In as much as I loved SF and had many friends and family there, I knew that I could live comfortably on Guam.
First time visitors to Guam will notice the lush green jungles and the deep blue ocean waters that are visible from most areas.  They will also quickly feel the high humidity.  KMart, Home Depot, and ChuckECheese have brought the mainland a little closer to home.

I think my wife and I made the right decision to start our family here.  Our kids are not over-exposed to the same urban influences we were (i.e. drugs, crime, etc).  There are problems here but not as frequent and not as drastic as in the states.

Because of Guam's proximity to Asia, we are able to visit places like Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, and Manila more often than when we lived in the states.

With the impending military buildup, Guam will be dramatically different 5 years from now but I look forward to possibilities the increase in popluation will bring. Unfortunatelly, not all here share my optimism.

If you live outside of Guam, come and visit us and I will show you around!  If you live here then take a minute to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us cause it might not be here tomorrow.

Hafa Adai!!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment