Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's a small world

I was born and raised on the island of Guam.
Guam is about 32 miles long and about 12 miles wide with a population of about 170,000 people.
When I was 10 years old I moved to the mainland and my family stayed with my uncle who was in the Navy.  After experiencing living in different states, we settled down in San Francisco, California.
Fast forward to high school in SF:
While walking around the football field/track because I didn't bring my PE uniform, I met this girl named Marti who asked me if she could borrow the newspaper I was reading so she could check her horoscope.
She asked me where I was from and I said something like "Guam, you probably never heard of it" she replied something like "Guam? Really? I'm from Guam too!"
I couldn't believe it so I said "If you're from Guam, what village did you live in?" and she quickly replied "Dededo".  I couldn't believe it because "I lived in Dededo too!".  She couldn't believe it either so she further asked "What part of Dededo did you stay?" and I said "Latte Heights" and yes you guessed it-she lived there too!  In a city of 4 million people, two people from Guam decided not to dress for gym-thats how we met.
We didn't talk anymore for about a year, we just knew that there were only 3 of us from Guam in the entire 3000 student high school.  The third person by the way was a young gym teacher Mrs. Castro.
After about a year, Marti called me out of the blue and wanted to talk more.  The year was 1986.

What are the odds?

Through trials and tribulations we are still married today and tell that story every now and then when the opportunity arises.

I believe in Creation and I believe in God.  I also believe that God has a sense of humor and allows for these impossiblities to happen to keep our lives interesting.

Have an incredible day!  I know I will!

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I loved this story when you first told it in our Bible class, it was a thrill to read it again! I agree, God puts these lovely little coincidences in our lives that we often overlook.

    -Mika. =)

    ReplyDelete