Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Disc Jockey

When my eldest daughter was 15 she told me that she wanted to be a Dj.  At first I though- hmm...  knowing the environments a working Dj is exposed to, I wasn't too sure that was a good career choice.  In trying to find the positive in her statement, I was first flattered that I had made an impression enough that my daughter wanted to be like me.  I also thought, man if I started teaching her at this age she would be the best!
But the over-protective super dad took over and the lessons never happened.

I remember when I first wanted to learn how to Dj.  I was 15 and a friend of mine Paul B who lived across town in SF had some real Dj turntables-Technics 1200's.  Each day after school I would take a one hour bus ride to his house and we'd practice in his garage.  I'd bring a cassette and record each session so I could listen to the tape on my walkman on the way home.  Sometimes I'd leave so late he would just ask me to lock up when I left.  I did this as much as I could.

Being a Dj has brought me to incredible places and I've met some incredible people.  The first two followers of this blog are Dj friends of mine Scholar Brad and Erich Lazy E.

Believe it or not I still Dj at parties (very select however).  Last night I played some music for my grandmother's 90th birthday.  Being a professional Dj, I decided to stick to the theme and play 90's music!  It was a Hit!

Lastly, I heard recently that there was scientific evidence that proved listening to your favorite music triggers the same stimulants in your body chemistry that cocaine triggered.  It's no wonder why real Dj's are generally happy people!

One way to get high on life and not drugs!  In the words of my good friend Richard-Dj QBert "No body tricks, straight sound".

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment