Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Presentation is Key

I like Dr. Chester Karass' moto: "You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."
I read that a long time ago and use it everytime I have a business meeting or I want to convince others to accept my ideas.
They say that life is not fair but I believe it can be.  I also believe that you can find much favor in most things depending on how you handle the situation.
Here's an example:
If you have an interview for a job, how would you prepare?  Is dressing appropriately enough?  I would make sure I knew everything there was to know about that employer and/or company and I would practice getting interviewed by a friend or in front of a mirror to make sure I look and speak confidently.  It sounds extreme but if it's a one-time-shot then I would make sure I hit a bullseye when I get that chance.
When I submit a price quotation for a project I'm bidding on, I don't just give them my price on goods, I make sure I have a nice cover letter, a page explaining the situation and my solution, I try to have diagrams when necessary, and I even do price comparisons.  I make sure all the questions are answered before they are asked.  I have won many bids this way.  The only thing it costs me when I go the extra mile is time.
In this age of information overload you can find details of how to create professional business letters, resumes, etc.

This ideology is not limited to business matters.  Wether you are asking someone on a date for the first time or asking someone to marry you, your presentation is the key to winning their heart.
I have learned to be presentable at all times because you never know when opportunity will arise and you need to be ready.
I heard from a basketball coach that "practice doesn't make perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect."

Be a walking success story.  Become an impression to those around you.  When you can do it naturally without effort you'll start to hear things from others like "there's something about you" or "I know you from somewhere".  People will want to associate with you!

Have an awesome day!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment